Thursday, November 13, 2008

The Laundry

http://www.toysdirect.com/products.php?category_id= Ok, I'll say it.....of all my weekly (in this case bi-weekly) chores, the laundry really isn't so bad. Why do I say this? After all, I'm averaging about 10 loads per week which includes a plethora of clothes shuffling, sorting and folding. Every three to four days I'm looking at my typical four loads (triplet load, white load, mom & dad dirty load (scrubs, gym clothes), and an assorted cold dark load). Brenna's clothes are shuffled into the above loads depending on the closest match. Throw in the towels, sheets, rugs, etc. and it's easy to reach double digit laundered loads each week.

Wow, so you haven't figured out why I prefer doing the wash over other mundane chores. Vacuuming, dusting, mopping are B-O-R-I-N-G.. back and forth, side to side, up and down. Nothing every changes except that day every couple months when I have the privilege of changing that dusty vacuum bag. Dyson anyone? Yep, I wish (better talk to the boss about upgrading dust suction machines). Gee, I emptied the waste baskets, and took out the trash when I was a kid for I believe a shiny nickel. So unless I can have some fun and burn the trash in the backyard like they do at the farm, this chore won't crack my Top 10. HMMM, how about cleaning bathrooms? Uh, no try again. Have you ever looked underneath the toilet seat?

Laundry isn't that gross, and not nearly as painful as paying the bills. Gotta love writing the monthly check for the house payment or worse the AMEX bill. What else? Shopping for groceries isn't nearly as mind blowing as it once was (no double coupons), and it's a constant shift from Costco (bulk) to Safeway (produce, small stuff) to BevMo (adult beverages), and throw in Trader Joes, Raley's, Total Wine and Spirit, and now Whole Foods into the mix.

Cooking is alright I guess, but dirtying up the kitchen while cooking leads to piles of dishes, loading-unloading the dishwasher and a filthy kitchen table. Speaking of reinvent dad's cooking, I'm hearing chatter that the natives are about to revolt against my weekly spaghetti, burritos, chicken nuggets and fish sticks.

So, why NOT laundry? I have the sorting down. I know the minimum temperature requirements. I know to not mix reds with whites or put bras in the dryer. I know what to hang dry and what to dry to a crisp. I'm still trying to figure out when to use permanent press. Perhaps someone can help me understand this one.

What's cool too is that unlike most chores, laundry may be done 24/7 while doing almost any activity from A to Z. You can't say that about mopping the floor. With all this "washing" experience, I'm truly ready for laundry's next challenge like a massive ketchup fight. In closing I have just one request.........please someone invent an easier, faster way to pair socks!






No comments: